Saturday, September 8, 2012

Clouds and Sunshine, Kitchen Time (or Not), Bending and Extending

As if we don't have enough fruits and vegetables, I drove to the farmers' market today to buy some of what we're missing: lettuce, chard, kale, green beans, onions, carrots, pears. Then, I hurried home to add chard and beans to a stir fry and lettuce to a salad. Frances is now cooking up a chili-tomato jam. Umm. I can't wait to try it.

Today is on-and-off rain showers so it's a good day to spend in the kitchen. In the interim between kitchen shifts I practiced T'ai Chi Chih upstairs. There I watched clouds and sunshine wrestling for control over the blue sky. Just when I thought one opponent would outlast the other, something shifted slightly and the match continued.

I spent much of my practice watching the way in which my arms bent and extended throughout each movement. That action mirrors the bending and extending of the knees as the body shifts weight forward and back (or side to side).

And now I feel quieter and calmer and ready to enter the fray in the kitchen once again....

No comments: