Monday, September 3, 2012

A Whole New Direction

I'm laboring on Labor Day. Surprise! I commented to Frances this morning that I didn't know whether I could stand to process another vegetable. Her response was radically refreshing: "Why don't you do something else today?" And so, I shall....

I began my day with a load of laundry. That's different. Right?

T'ai Chi Chih practice offered me an opportunity to abandon the work mode for awhile. And, Sr. Antonia's September newsletter suggested that we count each movement in our T'ai Chi Chih practices by bringing our attention into the soles of our feet with each 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9.

What a wonderful reminder to ground, ground, and yet again, ground.

Okay. So back to to my original intention take a vacation from my Labor Day. Just this moment I spied a special treat, one I checked out from the library last Tuesday, Walt Whitman's book of poetry: Leaves of Grass which, amazingly, I've never read.

Suddenly, my intention was clear. Take this book to the deck, open it's ancient pages (I'm not exactly sure how ancient, but the pages are yellowed and the smell is mildewesque--how's that for a new word?) and now my day has taken on a whole new direction.

No comments: