Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Potato Salad and T'ai Chi Chih

It's July 4th ... hot, humid, and deeply quiet here in the middle of the forest. In the distance I hear the occasional bang of a firecracker but, for the most part, it is wonderfully still.

I did my T'ai Chi Chih practice after making a favorite summer holiday offering: potato salad. I may not celebrate this holiday, but obviously I can't escape the years and years of tradition that are an integral part of American culture.

It feels steamy but, miraculously, there's an occasional light cooling breeze. And so, I joined the goose and dog outside for our daily ritual. The animals slept as I did my practice and focused on quiet calmness and Chi flow.

I begin my outdoor summer TCC class next Thursday. It's time for me to engage myself in the mental preparation that precedes each new class session. One way I prepare is by directing concentrated intention on my own personal TCC practice. Whatever I learn in my day-to-day practice often becomes a "lesson" for my students. How wonderful to be able to share our insights and experiences with one another!

No comments: