Monday, June 4, 2012

A Lighter Heart

June 1-4, 2012

I nominate myself as the poster adult for what happens when you (I) don't do your (my) daily T'ai Chi Chih practice. Like everyone else, I'll make excuses (it's part of our human nature, I think), but the fact of the matter is that I--and no one else--experience the consequences for my lack of action.

Frances and I have been under a lot of stress lately and this weekend was no exception. I worked all day Friday and then took a walk (and, amazingly, forgot to do my TCC practice). Saturday we both busily prepared for an across-Minnesota trip to drive home a borrowed pickup from Frances's brother. Saturday night and Sunday we drove and drove and drove (eight hours there and eight hours back).

I did a bit of a mental TCC rehearsal when I went to bed last night but, truth be told, this morning was the first time in three days that I did an actual (seated) practice.

I've always wondered why Lucy tends to groom herself while she stands nearby during my practice. Today I was enlightened. As I did my practice I felt the heavy weight of fear, frustration, anger, sadness, and disappointment simply slide right off of me. (Could Lucy be inspired by the Chi energy to cleanse herself too?) Don't get me wrong, there's more clearing and centering to come. But, thankfully, today I began to come back to center and my heart feels a few ounces lighter.

No comments: