Saturday, May 19, 2012

Moving through the Heat

Friday, May 18, 2012:

I foresee big change on the horizon. I can't tell that it will be positive or negative. It simply will be. (Que sera.)

HOT today ... over 80. I worked inside with the windows closed where it was cooler. In late afternoon I joined Lucy outside for T'ai Chi Chih practice. I sat near a bleeding heart and soon noticed a large moth (that looked like a hummingbird with stripes) hovering near each individual blossom to sip its nectar. I was reminded of my sister's call several years ago regarding this same moth that she insisted was a hummer.

Thank good for this TCC practice that moderates the ups and downs (highs and lows) of my all too human life! It brings me peace.

Saturday, May 19, 2012:

Another hot, humid day with a cool enough start that Frances and I got a walk in early. Our lives feel incredibly stressful these days (everyone is gearing up for tourist season in Bayfield) which makes this daily TCC practice a key ingredient in maintaining my health and sanity.

I headed for the deck in late afternoon as clouds gathered and a breeze whisked away pesky bugs. While Frances fenced a flower garden, Lucy grazed on nearby grasses, and the cat and dog napped indoors, I flowed and slowed, twisted and turned.

Today I focused my attention on the way I move when I practice seated TCC. There are many subtleties to this practice while standing and equally so when sitting down. This afternoon I noticed how my "sitz" bones, hip joints, and lower back felt as I simulated the forward/back weight shift by rocking on my sitz-es. Perhaps the fact that I'm a TCC teacher explains my fascination with these subtle shifts and changes. Still, it's helpful for anyone who does a seated TCC practice to notice how their body moves to ensure that they don't overdo their movements and subsequently strain their back muscles....

No comments: