Thursday, April 12, 2012

One Great Heart

I know what the great cure is: it is to give up, to relinquish, to surrender, so that our little hearts may beat in unison with the great heart of the world.
               --Henry Miller

     From: The Scalpel and the Soul: Encounters with Surgery, the Supernatural, and the Healing Power of Hope, Allan J. Hamilton, 2008, p. 141


Today I wrote the above quote on a card that our class gave to Bea and Howard, TCC students who plan to move away from the area in July (before our next class session begins). They've been with our T'ai Chi Chih class since Fall 2005 and it's difficult to see them go. (I know, I know, the only thing constant is change.)

According to my records I began teaching T'ai Chi Chih classes in Cornucopia during the summer of 2004. Much has transformed over the years. We've all continued to grow older and experience changes in our health at the same time that we've "grown in wisdom and learned to love better" as a result of (if I may I be so bold) our shared TCC practice.

Still, Bea's smile when she's in the midst of a T'ai Chi Chih practice, is something to behold. It's obvious that a light turns on inside her and she glows with its brilliance. Today I saw that smile once again and I told Bea that I'll always remember it. There's no doubt in my mind that Bea's heart has tuned into the universal rhythm of One great heart.

No comments: