Wednesday, April 4, 2012

It's Not Over 'Til It's Over

More political discussions around the dining room table tonight. And, when I went to class earlier in the evening, everyone there talked about the outcome of yesterday's election in their own small community.

Ah, politics. Does it divide or unite us? Does it create community or tear it apart?

Tonight's class session was helpful. I talked about bending and straightening the knees as we shifted our weight forward and back and had each of my students check their stance. And, of course, more discussion about the ever-present issue of leading with t'an tien.

I see several of my new students leading with their upper bodies instead of their lower half. Still, it takes time--and practice!--to truly understand what it means (and feels like) to be rooted from below. I feel like I'm repeating myself but occasionally realize that that is what new (and continuing) students need. Based on my own experience I can attest to the fact that repetition after repetition eventually leads to unexpected and well-deserved aha moments.

We open to new possibilities and new information when we're ready to welcome it into our consciousness. And so it goes.... (It's probably never truly over.)

No comments: