Friday, March 30, 2012

Remembering ... Justin

Wednesday, March 28, 2012:

In tonight's combined T'ai Chi Chih practice we formed two circles (the inner circle contained three of the continuing students and the outer circle contained six of the new students plus several more continuing students and me). It felt exciting and energizing to see so many people moving together in harmony.

Several weeks ago one of my new students unintentionally gave me a new insight into the practice. She questioned me about Light at the Top of the Head/Light at the Temples and asked: So when you do the opening and closing of the wrists, mix, and hold, then open again, is it nine and nine?

I was about to about to review with her that we open the wrists three times, mix for a count of six, then hold for a count of six, and then open the wrists three more times ... when I realized that she was absolutely correct. Once again, Justin Stone created a count of nine (twice). Between the two repetitions of opening and closing the wrists we count three (wrists opening) plus six (mixing) which equals nine. Then we count six (holding) and three (opening and closing wrists) which, again, equals nine.

After 18 years of TCC practice it's wonderful to see that I still have a-ha moments....

Thursday, March 29, 2012:

I received an email from Sr. Antonia, the guide for T'ai Chi Chih, this morning. She wrote to notify the T'ai Chi Chih community that Justin Stone, the creator of this form, died peacefully on Wednesday. He was 95-years-old. Three T'ai Chi Chih teachers were in his room when he died; they supported his dying process by practicing T'ai Chi Chih and doing seated meditation.

Justin gave us a wonderful gift through the creation of this T'ai Chi Chih practice and I am deeply grateful for the quiet, peace, and loving kindness that has entered my life as a result of commiting myself to this daily moving meditation. Thank you, Justin, whereever you are....

No comments: