Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Qigong for Cleansing

Yes, temperatures are in the single digits and clouds drape the sky, but there are hints of blue peeping through clouds and vestiges of light along the horizon so the day feels bright. May this day be filled with light and lightness!

Tonight I teach two back-to-back T'ai Chi Chih classes. With that in mind, I did not do a morning TCC practice; instead, I practiced Qigong for Cleansing for ten minutes. Francesco and Daisy Lee Garripoli developed this qigong practice (exercises and breathing meant to stimulate and improve the qi/chi energy field). I taught myself the movements several years ago and then let the practice fade into the background of my life.

Recently I unearthed the DVD and decided that it was time to re-enter this routine and reinvigorate myself with its slow meditative stretches and breathing patterns. The film is inspiring as it's set in an alpine meadow in the Rocky Mountains. And the Garripolis are obviously masters of this form they've developed. Though the movements are relatively simple (as is T'ai Chi Chih), the anticipated effects are tremendous (as are the results of engaging in a TCC practice):
  • Circulate Qi (energy) to rejuvenate your entire body
  • Revitalize key organs (lung, heart, liver, stomach, intestines, kidneys and gall bladder) responsible for removing toxins
  • Soothe your nervous system so it releases feel-good chemicals instead of stress hormones
  • Restore mental clarity by harmonizing right and left brain
  • Eliminate anxiety and center yourself through an energy-balancing move you can use anytime, anywhere
          From: Qigong for Cleansing DVD case
The above list articulates the positive effects that can be gained from a multitude of qigong practices (T'ai Chi Chih, T'ai Chi Ch'uan, and any other Qigong form). Still, it's nice to occasionally practice a different form, especially since I'll submerge myself in teaching the T'ai Chi Chih form several times over this evening. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments: