Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Winter Solstice: The Yin-Yang Cycle

So I said to myself this morning as I walked through the living room and saw an orange sun gleaming over the horizon: I need to stop everything to do my T'ai Chi Chih practice right now. And, yes, that's exactly what I did.

Given the heavy clouds filling the sky, I knew that the sunrise would be beautiful but short-lived. The clear-skied route from horizon to low-hanging clouds held a narrow sliver of opportunity for me to experience clear, shining light at the beginning of yet another grey day. I made it though Rocking Motion, Bird Flaps Its Wings, and Around the Platter--as I greedily soaked in the light and colors--before the sun slipped from view.

By then, of course, I was well on my way toward completing my TCC practice. I shifted my position slightly to look out at the distant dark blue shoreline and the white-looking waters of Lake Superior (Is that the beginnings of ice I see?) and carried on.

After practice I finished dishes, held a phone conference with my editing client, and made my way to the computer to write this blog. It's the holiday season but, as usual, there's plenty of "cutting wood and carrying water" to do before I relax and visit with friends and family.

Happy Winter Solstice to all! The light! The light! Today our Earth reaches its furthest cycle into the darkness (yin) and circles back toward the light (yang) once more.

No comments: