Monday, December 19, 2011

Vim and Vigor

Last night was so dark by 4:30 p.m. that it was difficult for both Frances and me to stay awake. Granted, the lighting in our house is insufficient; though I wanted to do some mending, I knew that I needed to wait until daylight. So, I took advantage of the darkness and went to bed early.

This morning I was elbow deep in dish water by 6:30 a.m. I immediately set out to dirty dishes as soon as they were clean; without a second thought, I launched into cooking multi-grain cereal for breakfast and two quiches for lunch.

I had plenty of time to go through my T'ai Chi Chih practice before I left for the library and, mid-morning, I closed myself in the guest bedroom, and flowed into my practice. The grey, overcast skies and long, dark nights must be getting to me. I went through the full form but didn't feel uplifted or energized by the practice. With daylight pared down to a mere eight or nine hours per day I'm inclined to follow the bears into their dens and settle down for a good long nap.

Failing that option, I'll wait impatiently for the return of light that begins on Wednesday. And who knows? It's likely that my TCC practice is helping me move through my days with more vim and vigor than I'll ever know....

No comments: