Monday, December 12, 2011

Quietude

Today stands in sharp contrast to the glorious sun-filled beauty of yesterday. Although the warm temperatures remain, the sky is one vast ceiling of white while the rich brown of earth emerges from its short-lived winter cloak of white.

I spent several hours on the phone with my editing client this morning and immediately followed that session with my T'ai Chi Chih practice. I know that this calm retreat into movement and breath will be a helpful transition from the peace of my home into the fast-paced, request-driven, and people-filled environment of the library.

I threw in a quick few minutes of TCC practice before my client called, in addition to the practice after, and, as far as I'm concerned, every moment of practice helps to bring quietude to my mind and body and gently offers me the opportunity to return myself to the present moment.

After TCC practice I sat for a brief five minutes to still myself further and I was glad for the extra time dedicated to no-thing. And now the time has come for me to leave my silent retreat and venture into the world of work where people and events move at high speed....

No comments: