Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Free at Last

I worked a full day at the library today. It was so busy that, on several occasions, patrons were patiently (and, perhaps, impatiently) lined up waiting for service.

By late afternoon the traffic at the counter had slowed; enough so, that my coworker and I took out our Kindles to familiarize ourselves with them. These e-Books will soon be in circulation through our library and it's our responsibility to know how they function in order to assist our patrons. It's a slow process to get the jist of these technological advances, but we both felt more knowledgeable at the end of the work day.

Midday one of our regular patrons brought in single-serving cherry pies that she baked for an event yesterday. The leftovers didn't fit in her freezer and she generously donated them to the library (just one more fundraising opportunity). Kathy is well-known in Bayfield as our premier local baker; she sells homemade breads and other baked goods at our weekly Farmers' Market as well as at several cafes. Her thoughtful gift is just one example of the many ways people in our community work to support the library.

I came home tired, but happy. Soon I swung into my T'ai Chi Chih practice; it was wonderful. I felt loads of energy in the palms of my hands and an easy flow in my movements. Plus, the busyness of the day slipped gracefully from my shoulders. Ahhh. Free at last....

No comments: