Thursday, September 1, 2011

Our Wurst is Best

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Frances, Namaste, and I are in the car en route to the Twin Cities. It's overcast, drizzly, and the low tire indicator light just came on. The ding led us to stop at TJ's Country Corner (est. 1977) in Mahtowa.

It's a bright yellow building touting the ad: "Our Wurst is Best" (wild rice brats, potato sausage, etc.). It sounds rather Taoist, don't you think?

Our 9:00 a.m. departure was pushed back to 10, 11, 12, 1 pm. Finally, after our animal sitters arrived (they told us they'd show up after we left), we took off just before 2:00 p.m.

I practiced TCC in the quiet porch before anyone stirred at home. Usually I get caught in the morass of departure to dos so it was helpful to take a break before the final car packing.

There were still many chores to perform. Still coolers to load, clothes to pack, dishes to wash, animals to feed. And, even though I rushed, I did so with a quieter frame of mind. And now--ta da!--we are on the road. It's a miracle! And, yes, this long weekend vacation is begun....

Thursday, September 1, 2011


T'ai Chi Chih in the city. Or, for that matter, life in the city. After living in the woods for almost nine years I'm highly sensitive to the close proximity of other people.

How can house foundations be set so close together? Is it difficult for homeowners and apartment dwellers to look out their windows and into the windows of their neighbors? I suppose that you become used to it (I did when I lived in the city) but, at the moment, it feels like an invasion of privacy.

Still, there is plenty of nature to be found here. As I practiced TCC in our friends' backyard birds flew over, around, and through the yard, landed in the gorgeous white pine tree growing there, and chatted and sung nonstop.

I brought Namaste outside with me and he lay quietly in the grass with his nose up. He was thoroughly entertained as he sniffed and took in the news of the neighborhood through his nose.

Today's temps are predicted to reach 90 to 95 degrees here in St. Paul. That's one reason I chose to practice soon after rising. There wasn't much activity around me as I moved (other than those busy birds).

I was happy to begin my day in a beautiful backyard with a huge white pine tree staring at me. And soon, very soon, my practice was over and I was ready to begin my first full day of vacation. Where to go? What to do? It's a mystery and an adventure....

No comments: