Thursday, August 25, 2011

Camp Out

In spite of yesterday's multiple threats raindrops never fell. After dark Frances and I sat on the deck to watch stars; the wind had pushed the heavy curtain of clouds across the sky and out of view. Suddenly we thought, Why not sleep outside? Then, of course, we'd have a perfect view of stars, satellites, the Milky Way, and other Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs).

We assembled two cots and gathered bedding for our sleep out. Soon, though, Frances retreated into the house because of an extreme allergic reaction. I slept on the deck through the entire night. Despite the fact that I was swaddled in a sleeping bag with a wool blanket on top, I was cold. When morning came, my face and extremely cold nose were hidden inside the bag.

Today was absolutely beautiful as the hours of daylight flashed by. By late afternoon when I launched into my T'ai Chi Chih practice, I was tired from having spent the day working (and standing) in the kitchen. After practice Frances asked whether I was in a low blood sugar. I was markedly lethargic. Sure enough, when I tested, I was in insulin shock.

I still haven't recovered my energy and equilibrium. Consequently, tonight will be an early to bed night. No passing go. No collecting $200. Just sleep....

No comments: