Saturday, August 13, 2011

Alive, Alert, Awake ... and Joyous

Today began with another blessed T'ai Chi Chih practice in the midst of nature. I was happily surrounded by my yin-yang animals (every single one of them is black, white, or a combination of the two). This was another pre-work practice and--since Saturday is the busiest day at the library and I work alone--I wanted/needed to be ready....

I began practice with my mind abuzz like a hive of bees. (In other words, I was caught in the mode of a human doing instead of a human being. Silly me.)

My thoughts circled 'round my self-made duties of the day: stop at the farmers' market en route to work to purchase a few items and, of course, pick up the library's mail at the post office, make coffee, start up eight computers, empty the drop box, etc. etc. Those chores all need doing before I open the building at 9:30 a.m.

The library director showed me the figures on library circulation last week so I know for a fact that Saturday has the highest circulation of the entire week even though the workday is two hours shorter. Once again, I was caught anticipating the future instead of living in the present.

I spent almost half of my TCC practice de-accelerating Monkey Mind. And then, only then, could I feel restful relaxation begin to seep into my body and mind....

Meanwhile the animals engaged in their morning routines and explorations. Chiripa strolled along the trunk of a tree that Frances cut down yesterday. The chickens walked along the edge of the driveway, scratching and pecking. Namaste was on guard, alert, watching, smelling, and occasionally barking. He also chased an errant chipmunk away from the corn meant for the goose and chickens.

An acorn fell from a tree and hit the ground with a loud plop. And, while I stood quietly in Cosmic Consciousness Pose, I heard the first buzz of hummingbird wings as a wee one visited the feeder.

Yes, I am alive, I am alert, I am awake and joyous. And ... I'm ready for a busy day at the library.

No comments: