Saturday, April 30, 2011

Peaceful Warrior

Frances and I watched a movie that was just purchased for the library--and not yet processed for our collection--this afternoon. Though I could barely remember the book upon which this movie is based, I immediately reconnected to the 1980s when I first read Dan Millman's, Way of the Peaceful Warrior. Back then--and today too--I found the principles and philosophies that underlie this book and movie infinitely practical and highly inspirational.

In fact, the message is really no different from that found in Buddha's Brain. When you strive for things, you suffer. When you achieve those things you think you want, you suffer. The way to true happiness is simple: remain in the present moment.

Ta da! That's also our goal when we practice T'ai Chi Chih moving meditation. And it explains why practitioners often feel so good as a result of their practice.

I practiced TCC immediately after viewing the film. I was inspired by Millman's character, a gifted Olympic-bound athlete, who devoted himself to gymnastics because of the happiness it brought him.

Both Namaste and Chiripa lay nearby while I flowed through my practice. All three of us quietly observed the ourside world--rainy and soaking wet--and rested together in the moment.

Methinks that all of us who strive to do a regular meditative practice are, in our own ways, peaceful warriors. By focusing our attention in the moment we come to know ourselves more intimately and we begin to understand what's truly valuable in our lives. Ultimately, it's not about how much money we make or what we accomplish or who we know. Still, we each have to find our own way. And that journey may take a lifetime.

No comments: