Sunday, March 20, 2011

Living the Dance

Today we awoke to new snow. Awww. Just when spring seemed within reach with temperatures warming and snow melting, winter returned to celebrate spring equinox. I can't complain. It is absolutely beautiful outside, refreshingly pure and white.

Seated T'ai Chi Chih practice becomes easier each day. When I told Frances today that I struggle to adjust to seated practice, she immediately responded: It's not dance anymore. Justin Stone often cautions: T'ai Chi Chih is not a dance. Yet for those of us who have a history and/or special love affair with movement and dance T'ai Chi Chih speaks to our 'inner dancer.'

I realize that the transition from a standing to seated practice requires change and change can be a challenge. During tonight's practice I felt more accepting of that challenge. The first few days I tried seated T'ai Chi Chih I regretted that I hadn't taken notes at the August 2010 T'ai Chi Chih Teachers' Conference when someone instructed us in a seated practice. I vainly hoped I'd remember the cues and clues.

Now, months later, I realize that, while it's helpful to rely on other people's experience and expertise, I'm perfectly capable of finding ways to practice seated T'ai Chi Chih that work for me and others. All it takes is practice, practice, practice.

No comments: