Friday, March 4, 2011

Laundering the Body/Mind

Today we're in pre-party mode. All day today and tomorrow Frances and I will clean, cook, bake, and otherwise prepare to host a party celebrating a major decision rendered by our County Board of Adjustment. Last week the Board rescinded a conditional use permit that had been awarded to developers seeking to build an airstrip and fly-in community in our town in spite of constant continuous protests against such a project.

It's time to acknowledge and thank each other for the unending efforts made by townspeople to attend board meetings, write letters to the editor, fundraise, research and track down various pieces of information necessary to pursue this matter, et cetera ad nauseam. This party will be a stretch for Frances and me since we're both introverts and tend to prefer quiet nature to loud people. Still, we're excited to serve as hostesses for this positive, congratulatory event.

Today's T'ai Chi Chih practice occurred in the basement. I positioned myself near the washer (for a reason too complicated to explain here) in order to observe my laundry while I practiced. I know, I know. I was multitasking. Still, the clock is ticking and our list of chores continues to stretch into infinity.

This is what interested me about practice: I began to move in front of the washer but quickly left the area. It was too noisy and distracting and the sound of the agitator set too quick a pace. I resettled in a far corner of the basement. When I heard the load spinning and draining, I returned to the front of the washer. By this time I was partway into my practice; my mind and body had slowed and calmed. And ... I didn't even notice the sound of the agitator.

To me, that's proof positive of the relaxing and healthful benefits of a T'ai Chi Chih practice. It prepares you for anything, including the rambunctious, distracting noise of a washer in mid-cycle.

No comments: