Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Answer My Friend is Blowin' in the Wind

Winds huff and puff. A storm is brewing. Could Friday's and today's high winds be a consequence of the solar flare from several days ago? I read today that stong winds in Washington DC brought down power lines that led to fires. In addition, the political world swirls with protests, divisiveness, and intrigue; everything is all stirred up.

I read and talked with friends today about the tens of thousands rallying in Madison to protest Govenor Scott Walker's efforts to destroy collective bargaining rights for union workers. Politicians, neighbors, and friends are in an uproar. But it's just one of many protests around the world as people rally for democracy, human rights, and a living wage.

In our town an ongoing controversy about an airstrip development has raged over the past two to three years. Last week a hearing was held before the County Board of Adjustment about the developer's conditional use permit. Several weeks ago a judge listened to arguments with regard to whether the Town and County Boards ignored the Town's land use plan to allow this 380-acre development to proceed. It's a classic struggle between the haves, the have nots, and those who have to have more.

An acquaintance wrote on Facebook that she felt like she was standing in the middle of a room while everything spun around her. Today I felt a bit overwhelmed by the state of my town, my state, and the world. And then ... I dived into my T'ai Chi Chih practice and the chaos, discontent, and political discord receded into the background.

In the midst of drama and trauma, disagreement and distrust, moving meditation is a healthy and healing remedy. It brought me back into the present moment, helped me release my need to speculate about an uncertain future, and re-rooted me into the Earth. What a lovely place to be: here right where I am, in this single moment, NOW....

No comments: