Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Power and Potency of a New Year

Ah, a new year. Today we turn the calendar from a year past into the year yet to be. There is a feeling of power and potential that enters our psychic space at the beginning of a new set of 365 days.

Of course, today's T'ai Chi Chih practice was much the same as always. Still, in 2010 I practiced--and blogged about my practice--every single day without fail. Perhaps many TCC teachers think that accomplishment is insignificant. But for me, personally, it feels like a major milestone after recent years spent struggling with health and survival issues.

I spent the better part of today cooking healthy, appealing, yummy food. In late afternoon I turned on the Prayer for Peace CD and began my TCC practice in a dark room with my dark shadow playing against a window that revealed an ever-darkening woods and yard.

Unexpectedly I thought about Mike, the apartment manager at a building I called home for eight years over 16 years ago. Mike was a t'ai chi ch'uan instructor who used the basement as his studio and practice space. He graciously allowed me to use that same space to practice my t'ai chi ch'uan form and, eventually, t'ai chi chih.

Mike moved with a softness, effortlessness, and bonelessness that defied understanding. When I saw Mike move, I knew that I had many hours and years of practice yet to invest in my own form. Thank you, Mike, for inspiring and encouraging me in a subtle, unspeakable, and, perhaps, unintended way.

Here's to a New Year--2011--that is filled with many practice hours intended to bring peace, relaxation, and healing to us all. May we each feel compassion, kindness, and understanding for all living beings. And may we all continue to learn how to live in harmony with our Mother the Earth. Namaste.

No comments: