Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Perpetual T'ai Chi Chih Practice

The day is cold and grey with occasional snowflakes. It's barely above zero but Chiripa, the cat insists on sitting motionless below the bird feeder. She's not waiting for birds. No, she hopes that a hungry shrew will poke its nose out of the snow in search of seeds. And ... Chiripa will be there to greet it.

My stomach is unhappy today. It's reminding me of its discontent with moments of sharp pain and episodes of roiling and rolling. I feel as if I'm aboard a ship on a rough sea.

I cancelled my plans for this evening. And I discovered by calling the library that there's a stomach Bug going around.

When I finally dragged myself into my T'ai Chi Chih practice, I discovered that I felt better while I moved. I'm reminded of the notion: Where attention goes, energy flows. As long as I focus on my movements and the scene outside the patio door I feel okay. When I sit down again and remember the stomach pain, I feel the discomfort.

I think to myself: Why can't I stay in a perpetual state of T'ai Chi Chih practice no matter what I'm doing? And so that becomes my focus. How do I keep my attitude, focus, and behavior hopeful, positive, and relaxed despite what my body may be experiencing? The experiment has begun....

No comments: