Saturday, December 4, 2010

Therapeutic Chi Chih

I feel as if I'm adrift in a sea of sadness. There are many possible reasons for this emotional state but two likely ones come to mind: SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and my innate resistance to change.

Since I can't make the sun shine and the 10-day forecast predicts that I won't see a shining yellow orb in the sky until a week from today I'm left to pursue other options. Take a larger dose of Vit. D. Get regular daily exercise. Commit to more than one TCC practice a day.

My attitude toward change is another matter entirely. Intellectually I know that change is the only constant in life. But when change affects me directly and (in my mind) negatively, I don't/won't/can't accept it willingly. Go ahead. Drag me kicking and screaming from the room.

During this afternoon's TCC practice my hands and wrists felt stiff and tight. Could that feeling relate directly to my resistance to what's happening in my life right now? Was I grasping? Holding on too tight? Desiring to control or influence something--or someone?--over which/whom I have no control? Perhaps.

The least I could do was release the tension from my hands and my wrists ... allow myself to feel softness ... and notice whether the physical release had any effect on my emotional state. It appears that it did. I'm writing my blog. Moving around. Feeling slightly more upbeat. And ... who knows?

No comments: