Monday, December 6, 2010

TCC for Energy and Renewal

The sun shone through the dark sky for a few minutes this morning before two heavy banks of clouds squeezed it into submission. I enjoyed its brief shimmering light.

I performed a late morning, pre-work TCC practice that felt like a good self-prep before I headed to the library. My sole practice companion: a woodpecker flitting from feeder to tree trunk.

Last night I watched and followed along with a loaner copy of T'ai Chi for Energy and Renewal: Living Well with Parkinson's Disease. The DVD was produced by Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in 2007. The T'ai Chi master who led the practice focused on breathing techniques, Chi Kung warm-ups, and T'ai Chi exercises, both seated and standing.

It was interesting to see and experience a T'ai Chi short form geared toward a specific population. The focus was on relaxation and stress reduction and the teacher presented the movements in a clear, simple manner. Nevertheless, it was hard to follow along. And I was reminded that it's important to study with a real live in-the-flesh teacher.

Afterward watching the T'ai Chi DVD I performed my T'ai Chi Chih practice and felt grateful for its straightforward simplicity. And that's how today's practice felt too: straightforward; simple; relaxed; and brimming with energy.

No comments: