Thursday, December 2, 2010

T'ai Chi Chih Travelogue

Yes, dear readers, I'm back. What follows is my written travelogue from the Upper Midwest to the East Coast (Charles Town, WV) and back again. Frances and I flew halfway across the country to spend Thanksgiving with my brother, my sister, and her boyfriend. These entries come from my written journal and flow chronologically from our date of departure.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 -- Thanksgiving Eve

Frances and I experienced an easy, event-free drive to the Twin Cities, starting at 2:40 am until our early arrival at the MSP airport around 8:00 am. Security required no full body scans though I did witness one extra-diligent pat down of a female passenger.

After we located our departure gate I took over luggage surveillance while Frances searched for breakfast. When she returned, I headed for a flight observation deck to practice T'ai Chi Chih.

What a find! I climbed two flights of stairs and arrived in a quiet space with windows on four sides. Classical music played in the background with occasional interruptions for final gate departure announcements.

Since three people already occupied the room I chose a location at the far end and began my practice. The observation area was the perfect relaxation spot. I watched planes taxi away from and toward from their gates, saw an occasional plane land, and truly felt that I was--indeed--above it all.

I felt a tremendous amount of energy as I moved and quickly settled into my form paying no mind to my co-observers. As people left and arrived conversations were quietly respectful. Of course! This is what you'd expect to find on a viewing platform ... a woman calmly and quietly shifting weight and energy; balancing and carrying balls; circling back and forth, round and round.

In several hours our plane will land at Washington D.C.'s Dulles Airport and we'll enter a warmer climate and a foreign domain. Then family reunions and thanks-giving festivities begin!

Thursday, November 25, 2010 -- Thanksgiving Day

I'm thankful for the many blessings of my life (first and foremost, life itself)! I'm grateful to my sister and her boyfriend for bringing us here to share Thanksgiving with them. They're also offering us the opportunity to learn a bit about their lives in Charles Town, WV (named after George Washington's brother, Charles).

I'm thankful for the adventure of travel and for new discoveries ... for food and family (not necessarily in that order), and for a TCC practice that travels with me wherever I go, whatever I do.

My 6:30 am TCC practice helped to settle my excitable energy and ease me out of my traveler's fog. Mind you, I'm still tired but I do feel more relaxed.

The weather upon arrival yesterday was 50 degrees and sunny. Rain is predicted. Still, we flew out of an area with winter storm warnings and into early fall (grass is green and some leaves still hang from the trees).

Soon the food prep begins. In fact, it may be beginning now given the activity I hear in the kitchen above.

Hearty thanks and gratitude for my TCC students, the TCC community, Justin Stone, TCC's originator, and a TCC practice that provides me with the subject matter for this blog. I feel grateful, as well, for this daily writing practice that constantly reminds me how important it is to take time for self-reflection, creativity, and gratitude.

Today, on the first anniversary of this daily TCC practice and blog, I feel tremendous appreciation for this journey I'm traveling regardless of the final destination.

Friday, November 26, 2010

My TCC practice offers me plenty of opportunities to set and practice my boundaries. In order to perform my practice and write my blog I must take time and space away from everyone else and devote at least an hour to myself and my meditation and writing. When I was younger, that would have felt difficult.

Now, though, with the guidance, wisdom, and need for TCC practice, I find that I value my time alone. I feel better after I've practiced TCC, written, and spent time by myself. The time I take for peace and rejuvenation is undeniably essential. It took me many, many years to learn this remarkably simple fact.

And, yes absolutely, when I feel peaceful within, it is much easier to maintain that peace-filled presence with those around me.

Our family entourage took a history walk around Charles Town today and found remnants of the Civil War. A sword or bayonet cemented into a stone property fence. A cemetery where Confederate soldiers were laid to rest, and beautiful old mansions scattered throughout town.

More food, conversation, and my late afternoon TCC practice to boost me through the evening tree-lighting festivities.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

My Thanksgiving family dynamics have caught up with me. This morning I feel sad and bad about myself. I'm weepy. I enter into my TCC practice as tears continue to flow down my cheeks.

When I Push-Pull, I focus on releasing sadness and pulling in healing energy. And still the tears flow. How appropriate that my sister scheduled a Reiki healing session for me today! I arrive with deep-seated feelings of sadness and emotional vulnerability and the practitioner reassures me that my spirit guides have prepared me well for our healing session.

After my session is complete I realize that, although the TCC practice offes me a tremendous amount of healing energy, it's also helpful to rely on the skills and abilities of others. I don't have to travel this journey all by myself. It's okay to accept help.

And so it goes. One more layer of healing sought and found. More to go....

Sunday, November 28, 2010, 5:15 pm

Today is our final full day and night in West Virginia. Frank, Mel, Frances and I took a sun-filled morning walk along the Potomac River to its confluence with the Shenandoah. We strode into Harpers Ferry and passed the infamous site where John Brown, fighting slavery, took refuge in an armory and was ultimately captured on October 18, 1859.

To pass through the streets of Civil War history is an amazing experience. After an early morning of intense emotion, I practiced TCC in the early afternoon.

I felt as if Reiki energy still surged through me from yesterday morning's healing session. My practice feel potent, my body less tense and more open as a result of the Reiki, and the Chi flowed with freedom and ease.

Monday, November 29, 2010, 7:25 pm

In flight somewhere west of Washington, D.C. Complete and total darkness. Except ... a flashing white light on the wing tip and residential lights on the ground below.

Frances and I rode to work with my sister this morning and took a mini-tour of Shenandoah University while she worked. After lunch we walked through downtown Winchester and then took off for the airport.

Fortunately we arrived early because security lines were long. I set off the alarm and was told that I needed to be patted down. I wish I could say it was a fabulous experience but it was not.

It seemed likely that a knee brace I wore was the reason I set off the alarm but, true to Standard Operating Procedure (SOP), that likelihood didn't matter. I became more distressed as the pat down progressed; first my body shook, then I began to weep. Eventually I sobbed out loud. FSA employees seemed surprised that I reacted in such a manner. I volunteered to take down my pants while under observation, remove my brace, and step through the security scanner once again.

That practical solution was against SOP but at last I was permitted to proceed and I passed through security easily. My TCC rehearsal was a mental practice in my plane seat as we backed away from the gate. I completed Carry the Ball to the Side as we lifted into the air. It was a welcome remedy after the disturbing and invasive pat down. And perhaps the timing for my TCC practice was ideal....

Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 8:40 pm

We rose at 5:30 am, spent an hour visiting with our friend, then hit the road to Bayfield. It was a long trip or, rather, longer than usual but not as long as it felt.

I drove the first stretch at 35-45 mph in ice, snow, and utter whiteness. We passed five cars in the ditch. After a stop for breakfast and a quick call to work, Frances took over behind the wheel and I napped. I made it to my library job 10 minutes late. By the time I walked in the door at home it was a six hour day on the road and six hours at work. After a TCC practice and short seated meditation, I gladly ended my day without sitting at the computer.

A few quick minutes of pen to paper and sleep came quickly and easily ... 9:00 pm touchdown in Minneapolis on Monday night, 9:00 pm beddown in Bayfield on Tuesday night. Safe and sound.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 7:20 pm

Interesting. Now that I've handwritten my blogs in my journal for a week I'm not clipping my fingernails in anticipation of getting back online. I admit it. I'm enjoying my computer-free lifestyle. Perhaps tomorrow?

I'm gradually reorienting myself to northwoods living. Green grass and 50 degree temps in Virginia and West Virginia to white ground and 15 degrees is quite a change of atmosphere. My body is rebelling against the dramatic change in climate at the same time that my heart and soul feel happily home again.

A headache and low energy were today's feedback loop regarding the stress of my travels. Today I stayed home and enjoyed the quiet along with a lengthy visit with neighbors.

My early evening TCC practice quivered with energy which felt absolutely great. I practiced upstairs while Frances played with the cat and dog downstairs. Despite overhearing her constant teasing and chatter, I settled deep into the rhythm and motion and let my muscles release into the repetition, pattern, and space of my practice. And, yes, I feel better.

No comments: