Friday, December 3, 2010

May you walk gently through the world ...

Today is my birthday. This annual event provides me with the opportunity to consider years past, the people I've known, memories of my parents who've been dead for many years, and how I choose to live my life day after day, year by year, hour upon hour.

I started the day with my TCC practice. Out on the porch directly in front of a space heater I felt comfortable despite the 10 degree temperature outside. With windows on three sides of me I watched the whiteness. All seemed quiet except for the flicker of a blue jay that landed on the drive to pick at the remains of goose corn. That same jay flew next to the south ravine and dunked his beak into whatever fresh, unfrozen water ran there.

During my practice I felt the Chi energy even as I felt my mind wandering. Sometimes birthdays and holidays have too much expectation tied into their packaging. My knees felt sore from last night's TCC practice and I focused my attention on relaxing, releasing, softening, letting go....

While Frances fixed breakfast I luxuriated in the richness of a day in which I can choose every single event and activity I wish. Perhaps every day could be this way but I seldom feel that I have the freedom to act as if this is so. Consequently it's a wonderful gift I give myself to consciously choose every single thing I wish to experience on this singular day.

While writing I reread and let the words of this Apache Blessing take up residence within me. My youngest brother emailed this to me over a year ago during a difficult time in my life and it's taped to a file cabinet next to my computer:
May the sun bring you new energy everyday.
May the moon softly restore you by night.
May the rain wash away your worries.
May the breeze blow new strength into your being.
May you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days
of your life.

No comments: