Friday, December 17, 2010

Let Peace Begin with Me

Love leans sweet across my memory

A dimestore comb
wrapped in green tissue
tied simple with brown twine

A scotch plaid tablecloth
sprinkled with snippets of ribbon

Puddled snow across the kitchen floor
ending by a tin of sugar cookies

The smell of winter on my father's coat

     ~~ Cheryl Jaques
Frances and I received this poem inside a handmade Christmas card from a friend. A painting of evergreen trees and lakeshore graced the face of the card. Again, created by our friend. (Beautiful pictures painted inside and out!) Since I don't celebrate Christmas in the typical American fashion this card was a wonderful inventive gift that warmed my heart.

It struck me yesterday that Christmas Eve is a week from today. Tonight is the Bayfield Library's Christmas celebration (dinner out at a local restaurant). It's true that I lost my zeal for this holiday many years ago while working in a bookstore. There I discovered that--to some--Christmas meant buying gifts for others without really knowing who they were or what they liked. Cheryl's poem (above) shows that this holiday can be about simple things that cost little money but contain lifelong memories and inestimable love.

It's about 8 degrees above zero today. As the morning draws to a close the sky lightens though it's still plumb full of clouds. I practiced TCC this morning with my Albuquerque, NM TCC pals (i.e., the practice session at the end of Justin Stone's TCC DVD).

When I move with other teachers, I become aware of how I've personalized my practice to fit my own needs and desires. And speed. Portions of the DVD practice move more slowly than my practice and other portions zip by so fast.

I love to dwell in Resting Position between each set of movements because it allows me to ground, focus, center, and truly R-E-S-T. When I'm in Resting, I sense the deep peace that emanates from this practice. Which reminds me of a well-loved Christmas song from years ago:
Let there be peace on Earth,
And let it begin with me.
Let there be peace on Earth,
The peace that was meant to be....
Ah, yes, let peace begin with me.

No comments: