Friday, November 19, 2010

Outwitting Monkey Mind

Today's wind tosses branches and treetops every which-a-way. A quick glance out an upper window shows clouds crusing overhead with amazing speed. Now the sky is swept clear and the sun is shining. Ahh. It's 30 degrees outside which feels like a huge warm-up after the past few overcast days with temps in the 20s and a distinct chill in the air.

Today I felt soooo tired even though I slept plenty last night. My solution: Engage in my TCC practice with the hope that I'll Activate-Balance-and-Circulate Chi (the ABCs) to the point where I'll feel more energized. (Yes, it did indeed help.)

Last week my two fall TCC classes concluded but today, one week later, I'm distinctly aware of the loneliness of my practice when it's entirely, absolutely, unequivocally up to me. I clearly missed my students as I went through my TCC practice since I've grown accustomed to a Thursday morning practice with six to twelve participants.

What to do? Practice anyway. Put Justin Stone's TCC DVD in the player and join with four of the Albuquerque, NM teachers in their practice or imagine my circle of students as I move or place my intention on sending this circulated Chi energy out into the Universe or ...?

So much of the ability to follow through on practice time is based on a willingness to deal with Monkey Mind. And since Monkey Mind is nimble and well-practiced in convincing us to take the easy way out we must hone our creativity, commitment, and fortitude. So what strategies work for you to maintain a regular T'ai Chi Chih practice in your life? (I'd venture a guess that you're more creative in your approaches than you give yourself credit for.)

No comments: