Sunday, November 7, 2010

From Push-Achieve-Accomplish to Slow-Mo-Flow

Lately the weather is our main topic of conversation with friends and neighbors. It is unseasonably warm ... and beautiful! Today was another 50 degree sun-filled day. First we visited neighbors who live in a tent in the middle of the woods. They showed us their tent house, gave us a tour of their property, and introduced us to their two dogs, six ducks, 12 chickens, and two pigs.

Back at home, Frances repainted the sign at the end of our driveway while I vacuumed and cleaned out the car. Midway through the afternoon Frances called me outside to watch four bald eagles circling overhead. I don't ever remember seeing so many eagles flying together. We spent several awe-inspiring minutes watching and listening with our heads tipped back and our eyes and ears intently focused on the scene above us.

My evening T'ai Chi Chih practice was performed after the early arrival of darkness due to last night's fall backward into (or out of?) daylight savings time. About halfway through I realized that I was in a push-achieve-accomplish mode. It made sense, I guess, since I'd spent the day moving rapidly from one chore to the next.

After I noticed how much effort I was exerting to push myself through practice I slowed down, relaxed, softened, and switched gears to "slo-mo-flow." I instantly felt better. What a wonderful way to transition from a busy work-at-home-day to a kick-back-and-relax-night.

No comments: