Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Happy Mind

Leaves fall with each heavy exhalation of air. They clatter and scatter themselves along driveways, roads, sidewalks, and decks. Treetops are balding, leaf piles are gathering, and each day I feel myself walking one step closer to winter.

This morning Frances and I took a walk in splendid sunshine. After work, then, I dived into my T'ai Chi Chih practice in the gathering darkness. I'm continuing to prepare for two advanced TCC class start-ups this week. Each time I practice I discover new ways to explain how to move using images and ideas that are easy for students to understand.

I'm re-reading and reviewing the Tao too. This week: Verse 71, "Living without Sickness" (per Wayne Dyer). Here's Stephen Mitchell's version of Lao Tzu's short and sweet verse:
Not-knowing is true knowledge.
Presuming to know is a disease.
First realize that you are sick;
then you can move toward health.

The Master is her own physician.
She has healed herself of all knowing.
Thus she is truly whole.
Dyer distills this verse down to two core messages: 1) have a happy mind and 2) examine your habits and really listen to and trust the messages from your body.

No question about it ... T'ai Chi Chih moving meditation practice helps me to cultivate a Tao-centered happy mind (Dyer, p. 337). When I dwell in that state of happiness, my body can rest in health, wellness, and happiness too. (Sometimes that is easier said than done but it is a worthy goal.)

No comments: