Monday, September 27, 2010

Split Practice

Today was my first day since starting my job at Bayfield Library where I felt fairly relaxed and perfectly comfortable woman-ing the front desk. Of course, I'm still faking it to a certain extent. But now I've come to the conclusion that I will, indeed, be capable of learning this job--including all of its idiosyncrasies--over time.

Which reminds me of a story a friend told me years ago. She received a masters' degree and then returned to school years later to earn her teacher's certification. It was a major shift for her to become a classroom teacher and, when she walked up to the front of the room to face the students, she felt like a fake. Suddenly she realized that her students thought she was a teacher even though she didn't believe it herself.

Luckily I have a good relationship with books and also plenty of experience handling them through years of bookstore work. The computer system and book readers and DVD watchers are who I'll come to know better in the weeks ahead.

I didn't manage to complete my TCC practice before work today; the first half of my practice began at 8:15 p.m. and the other half around 8:50 p.m. In the interim Frances and I purchased airline tickets to visit my sister and her boyfriend in West Virginia over Thanksgiving weekend. Once I knew that we had our tickets finalized it was easier to attend to my practice.

No comments: