Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sacred Space

Your sacred space is where you can find yourself again and again.           --Joseph Campbell
          From: Afar: Where Travel Can Take You
                   September/October 2010 (p. 24)
I found the above quote in Afar after it came in the mail today. Campbell's definition of sacred space reminds me of how I feel about T'ai Chi Chih practice. Perhaps that's why I typically feel better once I engage in my moving meditation. There are many times in life when I feel lost but my overall feeling during and after TCC practice is one of comfort, connection, and a sense of "all's right with the world."

Right now the sky is raining its way into darkness. The air puffs with coolness and there's a steady thundering of drops against the earth, roof, and window screen.

I began my practice outdoors but soon discovered that I was the main entree for hungry mosquitoes. Out of the corner of my eye I watched little white Chiripa slouching under the ferns and grasses in search of an unknown prey. After the rain began I moved my practice inside.

I keep wondering: How will it feel to practice TCC with 150 other teachers next week at the annual conference? I'll join in six practices over the course of two and a half days. And I'll move with others who've taught T'ai Chi Chih for many, many years. I expect that the energy will be abundant and that these practices will return me, over and over again, to a sacred space that is shared by all of us as we move together in one room.

No comments: