Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Put a little love in your heart....

The days flash by me like the flit of a firefly, a strike of lightning, or the turn of a page. Summer recedes into the distance as fall approaches with a steadfast tread. I can sense a change in the light; the sun passes lower in the sky, the breeze is cooler, the shadows longer.

I'm in a funk though I'm not sure whether it's related to the time of year, hormones, or another unidentified cause. I do my daily T'ai Chi Chih practice despite the fact that I find myself going through the motions without vim or vigor. Where is the joy thru movement?

I want to hibernate, procrastinate, abbreviate. Still, I persist. I know that Justin Stone reminds us to practice no matter what. Practice when you feel like it, practice when you don't. Perhaps, just perhaps, my practice keeps me going when all else fails.

Today I practiced outside on the deck in the midst of sunshine and cooling breezes. I had no time or patience for the beauty surrounding me. I felt fed up with the effort of moving. But I did my practice anyway.

I comfort myself with cliches: This too shall pass. There's always tomorrow....

And, when all else fails, music inevitably offers some solace:
Take a good look around and
if you're lookin' down
put a little love in your heart....

And the world will be a better place
          --Jackie DeShannon

1 comment:

Evergreen said...

Pet a dog, or a goose, snuggle with the cat, breathe, take a nap, play a drum, eat chocolate if all else fails, and remember all the people you have touched in your life, then visualize them giving you a virtual hug. Hope your day gets better.