Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lightning and Thunder

It was a shhh, chatter, shhh, peep, shhh TCC practice today. A quiet effort to balance the effects of the enormous shuddering thunderstorm that woke me from my dreams last night.

Our huge, loud rainstorm caused flash flooding in Duluth. Here in the woods there were a few terrifying moments when the telephone rang between a dramatic flash of lightning and the resultant thunder clap. No, someone wasn't trying to call us. Umm, except God perhaps.

I alternated TCC with Seijaku during my pre-lunch practice. It occurred to me later that maybe I was inadvertently replicating last night's forceful thunderstorm in today's movements as I intermixed soft and quiet (TCC) with hard and loud (Seijaku with some deeper, louder breathing).

You have to admit ... it is invigorating to be caught in the midst of a powerful demonstration of Mother Nature's dominance over mankind. I listened to Krista Tippett interview Bill McKibben (author of Eaarth and The End of Nature) on Speaking of Faith this morning. McKibben, who's spoken and written about global warming for several decades, presents a convincing argument linking the effects of a slightly warmer atmosphere upon our environment. He cites the current forest fires in Russia and the floods in Pakistan as examples of humankind's deleterious impact upon our natural world.

And so I continue my practice. Rising and falling. Pushing and pulling. Shifting forward and back. Resting. Choosing peace in the midst of chaos ... blessed calm in this moment, NOW.

No comments: