Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Decline ... and Incline

I played tonight's TCC practice on our gravel drive past the curve as it heads downhill. Why? Because when I searched for the geese (they'd followed Frances, Namaste, and Chiripa partway down the drive when they walked to the mailbox), I found them grazing on grass along the ditch.

Since I'm not yet willing to let those goosies too far out of sight I planted myself on a downward angle in the middle of the driveway and hoped for the best. It is interesting--and helpful as I've mentioned previously--to vary practice locations and experiences. I typically choose a flat, level spot for my practice. It's good, though, to impose challenges that require me to maintain my form and full weight shift when I'm dealing with uneven terrain.

I began my practice facing downhill and found that the downward slope aided in my full weight shift forward. About halfway through practice the geese ambled by me and I turned to face uphill in order to monitor their activities.

Both geese settled on the gravel and rested. Ander closed his eyes to sleep; Lucy watched my practice then resumed her grazing. My uphill portion of the practice was more challenging (I felt like my leg muscles worked harder) but observing my resting geese helped me to maintain my own relaxation and restfulness. Afterwards I walked them up the drive closer to the house for their last meal of the night before heading to their barn.

Today's reading of 365 Tao (#215) was interesting and appropriate: "Decline." Deng Ming-Dao writes about the decline of summer as it heads into autumn but his final lines reminded me of my TCC practice on the decline, then incline of the driveway.
... there should be no emotional values attached to it. It simply happens, and that is all.

No comments: