Sunday, August 22, 2010

Buzz ... Bounce ... Move

How do you like this Facebook entry posted  last Wednesday by someone who lives near Washburn, WI? rain, rain, rain, rain, rain rain rain rain, THUNDER rain, rain, rain, rain. (Thank you, Evergreen.)

This is an hour-by-hour word picture of the weather this past week. At Farmers' Market yesterday I learned that the neighbor who borders the back side of our property caught six inches of rain in his gauge during the first three weeks of this month.

Today the sun appeared, temps rose, and we turned the central air on for an hour or two. When I went outside for my t'ai chi chih practice, I searched for a clear space--acorn free--in which to move. The oak trees near the house are dropping acorns by the hundreds. When they bounce off our metal roof, it sounds like a golf ball, basketball, or hammer pounding the metal surface. Such a powerful, unexpected sound from something so tiny.

Today's TCC practice was relaxed and peaceful as I abandoned my need to do things just right and simply flowed. My blue stained fingertips circled in front of me, a reminder that I'd just finished arranging blueberries on cake pan lids en route to the freezer. Light and shadows danced across the wall of the house as a hummingbird visited blossoms in the flower garden alongside.

Last week fall was in the offing but summer returned momentarily. I must take advantage of this sunshiny weather for soon I won't have the pleasure of practicing TCC outside in my shorts with mosquitoes buzzing and biting and challenging my concentration....

No comments: