Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Travel T'ai Chi Chih

Monday, July 26, 2010 -- Travel day from northwestern Minnesota to northwestern Wisconsin

Heavy rain this morning in the flatlands of Roseau County. Water stands in the ditches ... and the fields. By the time we left for home skies had cleared and the sun shone. Today was our first opportunity to visit one-on-one with our host family (Frances's brother and sister-in-law) due to other visitors, the Roseau County Fair, a short overnight trip Curtis and Becky had already scheduled, and our various comings-and-goings.

I took a clue from the student I recently wrote about who reiterated the benefits of rehearsing T'ai Chi Chih in his mind. Since we were on the road all afternoon and evening I decided to practice TCC in my head while I sat at our dinner table in Bridgeman's. I started with Rocking Motion and made it through Pulling in the Energy. It felt sooo good. And, I'll bet, it kept me awake and alert for the rest of our journey.

After our late evening arrival and a short visit with our animal- and home-caretaker, I finished my practice by moving next to my bed before I crawled in. Then I slept like a bear in her den ... total comfort. The combination of a mental and physical practice with hours in between may have been a first for me and it worked wonderfully.

It's interesting to realize that sometimes our students need to remind us of the words we've spoken at previous class sessions. Thanks to this student I managed a full practice during a long, full, and tiring day.

No comments: