Friday, July 23, 2010

Taking TCC on the Road

Thursday, July 22, 2010 -- En route to Roseau, Minnesota

This morning's TCC class was held indoors because of light sprinkles. Our practice was wonderfully calming and centering plus an interesting discussion of the Tao followed.

One student told the class that when he first studied TCC with me I asked the class to choose one movement and practice it for 5 to 10 minutes. The following week I asked class members to share their experiences and he told us that he had practiced in his head but did not practice an actual movement.

This student thought that this was a cop-out and was surprised when my response was "cool." I then explained to the class that as you become more familiar with the movements a mental practice can stimulate and circulate the Chi just as efficiently as a physical practice can.

After he described this earlier episode the student went on to verify that he often uses, and benefits from, a mental rehearsal of TCC. When he finds himself in situations where he wants to relax or calm down but does not feel comfortable doing a physical practice, he consciously--or unconsciously--chooses to think through his TCC practice. And, he proclaimed: It works! T'ai Chi Chih helps you feel better whether you do it physically or mentally....

Immediately after class Frances and I hit the road for Roseau, MN to attend her aunt's 90th birthday party. We'll spend an extended weekend there and head for home on Monday. In the meantime I'm unsure whether I'll have access to a computer to publish my blog as it happens. Entries may not be posted until we return home.


Friday, July 23, 2010 -- Beautiful warm, sunny, northwestern Minnesota summer

After a group bike ride with four other adults this morning I chose a quiet spot under a pine tree for my noon TCC practice. The branches were so close to me that I stroked the needles with the fingers of my right hand during Working the Pulley ... life force to life force.

Eventually several biting flies visited my ankles so frequently that I moved to a new tree in a more open spot with the hope that a breeze would brush them away. That ploy was unsuccessful. I must admit, though, that it's fun to practice with a wide open view of the blue, blue sky. (The unexpected consequences of traveling out from under the forest canopy....)

No comments: