Thursday, July 8, 2010

Silence? Root? Balance? Harmony?

How ironic that yesterday's blog focused on silence. Today our outdoor group practice moved to the tune of loud construction equipment moving earth. The noise began just as our practice did and continued through the first two-thirds of our form.

What did I learn from this? That even when there is noise and distraction in the external environment you can still find silence within yourself. I soon grew oblivious to the noise and focused on relaxing and releasing. After the heavy equipment ceased operation I enjoyed the beautiful birdsong and treasured the peaceful, quiet atmosphere even more.

We began our class practice under the cooling shade of trees. By practice end much of that shade had moved beyond our circle. It felt comforting and comfortable to move together as one large human body filled with spirit.

During our outdoor practices I notice that students often struggle to keep their footing, to stay grounded. I do as well. It's a valuable experience to focus so intently upon what lies beneath our feet and to take nothing for granted.

I related a conversation I had yesterday with an acquaintance who recently traveled to China. As they boated down the Yangtze River she and her husband joined morning t'ai chi classes on the upper deck. I positioned myself away from the deck railing, she said, because it was difficult to keep my balance as we dealt with the sway and flow of the waves beneath us.

Everything is relative. Noise or silence. Practicing on solid ground or practicing upon the fast-moving, ever-changing waves of a flowing river. When we maintain our focus and intent, virtually anything is possible.

It's important to remember that in the end it is my attitude that informs my experience and brings me pain or pleasure, distress or harmony.

No comments: