Saturday, July 3, 2010

An Organic, Free Range Day

First, an early morning walk. Then a trip to the Farmers' Market, an outing to pick raspberries at Blue Vista Farm, and a visit to Flying Snake Farm (Frances calls it a peaceable kingdom because of all the free range birds scattered about: turkeys, ducks, geese, chickens, pigs, a goat, a cow and calf) to buy two dozen free range eggs, then home again. Everywhere we go people comment on the heat. It was up in the mid-80s earlier today ... and humid. Those of us who live here year-round prefer cooler temps.

Today--miracle of miracles--Lucy started eating romaine lettuce again. Yesterday she nibbled on cracked corn, today romaine; it appears that she's well on her way to a full recovery. It's hard to believe that just a week ago a fox was dragging Lucy into the deep forest before we scared him or her away.

Yes, the weather is HOT. During my goose observation time I did my TCC practice in the driveway. Try as I might I could not get my body to do Seijaku. Much of my get-up-and-go drained out of me when I picked berries in the hot, relentless sun. Now in an effort to conserve energy I performed a slow, relaxed, plain old regular T'ai Chi Chih practice. It felt just right.

The geese groomed and groomed and groomed in front of me. The kitten stuck her arm into a chipmunk hole and kicked, scratched, and flailed around. (It was humorous.) An adult robin flew to its nest to feed babies. And I moved into the breeze each time it headed my way deeply grateful for its welcome breath. And now, now, I sit at my computer in deep relaxation.

All is well.

No comments: