Sunday, July 4, 2010

Living Happily in the Present

The weather cooled slightly today after a long, hot night. It's cloudy with brief moments of sunshine, sprinkles, and heavy showers. Plus it's windy, very, very w--i--n--d--y.

We're enjoying a mellow, laid back, stay-at-home day. What a treat! said Frances about our breakfast. We ate my homemade granola with Frances' homemade kefir and yesterday's handpicked raspberries. Delicious!

Lucy consumes lettuce like her stomach is a bottomless pit--it probably is!--plus she's back to grazing and drinking copious amounts of water. It is wonderfuly satisfying to see the geese behave in their normal goosely fashion and interact as if nothing out of the ordinary occurred just one week ago today.

A brief heavy rain cleared the humidity from the air and I'm back to feeling comfortably human once again. During my noon TCC practice I realized the major difference that a 10 degree temperature drop (from yesterday) can make in my movements.

Today it felt effortless to incorporate Seijaku back into my practice. Halfway through the form the geese joined me after downing another round of lettuce and water. Ander stood about six feet in front of me and Lucy stood directly behind him ... quietly watching.

I'm not accustomed to these two birds noticing my practice and/or needing or wanting to be physically close. But I do think they've realized that we're paying close attention to their whereabouts and monitoring them to ensure their safety. Their days of free ranging may be over.

Do they mind? I'm not so sure that they do. Ander approached me while I wrote my blog and he is currently asleep about six feet away from me. Lucy sleeps across the drive happy, it seems, to have some space from her humans who snatch her up twice a day to force food and medication down her throat.

Lucy's attack last week taught me to live happily in the present while I attend to the minute details of avian life and habits. I AM here now....

No comments: