Thursday, July 1, 2010

Being Here Now

We welcomed back several "summer people" to our TCC class this morning. The Bayfield penninsula draws many big lake/cool weather seekers during our beautiful summer months which means that every year I have students for my summer class who live elsewhere during the rest of the year (i.e., Sweden, the Chicago-area, Phoenix).

Today's indoor practice was energizing. By the end of practice I noticed a number of big smiles on faces around our circle as we performed the Healing Sounds. It felt fun, almost celebratory, to loudly whisper the sounds as we moved in unison.

After our tea break several students mentioned how much they looked forward to today's class because they knew it would help relieve their stress and return them to a more balanced state. One student told of his experience traveling across the country to visit his children. One morning his daughter asked him if he wanted to do yoga with her and, after they completed their practice, he asked if she wanted to do t'ai chi chih with him. What a wonderful bonding experience to share with family members!

Wayne Dyer calls the 64th verse of the Tao, "Living by Being Here Now." After I read this chapter I thought of these questions about TCC practice: Why do we practice TCC? What does it give us? How does it make us feel?

For me, one of the biggest benefits of TCC practice is the way in which it pulls me into the present moment. It feels wonderfully freeing to reside in the now where I'm removed from worries about tomorrow and released from regrets about the past. When I'm in the Now and connected to the Tao, I'm attuned to my innermost self ... and the living is easy.

No comments: