Friday, July 9, 2010

"Bear"ing my Weight

Bear footprints galore--and, yes, I mean bear not bare--as we walked along a dirt road today on our early morning hike. Though Frances and I continue to discover prints of all sizes along this route we have yet to see a bear visitor in our own yard.

Our lack of visitors is in stark contrast to the stories we've heard from others in the area. The DNR trapped six or seven bears on one family's property. As soon as the bears were removed from the premises they saw new bears.

About 1:00 a.m. on July 3 a City of Bayfield resident's dog was attacked by a bear which next tried to get into her house. She hit the bear over the head with her cell phone as she dialed 911. This woman bakes bread for local restaurants and the farmers' market which leads me to wonder: Did this intrepid bear merely recognize a delicious jackpot when he smelled it?

Two days ago Frances and I met a porcupine in the middle of another dirt road. We pulled our car off to the side in order to pass and strongly encouraged it to vacate its center of the road location before another driver barreled along and chose not to stop. As the porcupine lumbered to the roadside I marveled at its quill-covered body and recalled several gorgeous quill boxes I've examined at Native Spirit Gifts in Red Cliff. Frances, of course, speculated about how a porcupine removes a woodtick from its own body while I wondered whether a tick would even dare to navigate its rough and spiny terrain.

Back home in my own yard it looks as though the fledgling robins took flight sometime between last night and this morning. The nest is quiet and the branch upon which it rests no longer bustles with the frequent visitations of mom and dad Robin. Frankly, I miss the overhead activity.

During today's TCC practice I focused on keeping my lower body soft and relaxed while I moved. I continue to hold tension in my legs and I was glad to receive Justin Stone's reminder to stay soft when I recently watched his Seijaku DVD. Yes, indeed, it felt good to relax my body from the waist down since I typically focus my relaxtion attention and intention on my upper body.

This day is absolutely, positively, fabulously beautiful!

No comments: