Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Single Step

I came down off the deck today and did my TCC practice on the ground near the geese. Frances and I are taking turns monitoring Ander and Lucy as we continue to discuss how to best protect them knowing that a hungry fox is in the area.

It has been three days since Lucy's "assault" and her recovery is coming along nicely. We brought her outside to reunite with Ander for the full day today and, if you didn't know that she'd been injured, you'd have no idea by looking at her. Her puncture wounds are healing nicely and she's able to drink water though still resists food since she likely feels uncomfortable from the swelling in her throat.

We began oral medications this morning and mixed her antibiotics with baby food at the vet's suggestion in order to get some nutrition into her crop, the first stage of digestion. Tonight she'll go back into the goose barn with Ander. Amazingly, it was just yesterday that Frances and I discussed whether we should try force feeding or consider euthanizing her.

It is a huge relief to see Lucy relating to Ander in her normal way. And her day-by-day recovery reminds me of Verse 64 of the Tao which we'll discuss in tomorrow's class. The most famous line of the entire Tao is contained in this verse: A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Indeed. If I had continued to speculate how? what? if? about Lucy's care and outcome, I would have driven myself crazy. Caring for her moment-to-moment and watching how she responds to our care makes it easier to continue on.

I enjoyed practicing next to the geese today. I feel grateful to have them as companions in my daily life and it was a comfort to both me and them, I think, to have a close proximity.

The weather was postcard-perfect again today with temps in the low to mid-70s and a cool lake breeze whiffing through the woods from time to time. A distant fern gave me a beauty-queen wave, slowly shifting from side to side. And I flowed through the T'ai Chi Chih/Seijaku practice with ease, grace, and deepening relaxation.

2 comments:

Evergreen said...

I'm playing with the doing one move for ten minutes theme. I do it in the horse stable. The horses seem to like it.

Steph Winter said...

Yes! You'll be surprised to discover how quickly the time passes. And, with just one movement to learn, your horses may join in too.