Sunday, June 20, 2010

Life Moves On ...

The baby phoebes took flight! All four fledglings were still in their nest last night as darkness fell. When I hung bird feeders this morning, I checked the nest and noticed only three birds. After I let out the geese, I thought, I need to hurry back. If one of the birds is already gone, it won't take long for the rest of the nestlings to fly.

First, though, I fed the geese, threw a ball for Namaste, made nectar for the hummingbirds, and prepared my own breakfast. Then and only then did I remember to return to the nest (about 7:30 a.m.). It was empty.

I'm relieved that all four birds launched out of the nest safely--they're hidden somewhere in the woods now--and I'm glad that we have a reprieve from monitoring the cat's activities. Still, I wish I could have seen these young ones take their first flight. We've observed phoebes leave the nest two previous years and each time we felt incredibly blessed.

It's a gorgeous morning: mid 50s are now mid 70s, a still, silent morning now sways in the breeze, and constant bird conversation flutters through the leaves.

I practiced T'ai Chi Chih on the south end of the deck this morning. Since there are no longer any birds living here I can use the space as I please. It was difficult to quiet myself. The form passed quickly but I couldn't feel much energy until near the end of my practice. Consequently, when I finished, I immediately restarted the form at Around the Platter hoping to replay the first half with greater attention and intention.

Soon the dog asked me to let him into the house. Then I realized that I felt shaky. Finally, I decided I should stop practice to check my blood sugars. Sure enough, I was low. It was time to eat a snack and move on into my day....

No comments: