Thursday, June 3, 2010

Grass Practice

A small group from my Cornucopia t'ai chi chih class gathered this morning for a practice, potluck, and film viewing. We're between sessions and it felt wonderful to spend a few hours together outside the realm of our traditional classroom sessions.

Our outdoor practice in backyard grass was filled with birdsong, sunshine, and numerous other sounds. One student thought she heard a baby racoon. I, on the other hand, thoroughly enjoyed practicing in grass (as contrasted with my normal outdoor practice spot on my deck). My woodsy home doesn't have a traditional grassy "yard" or, for that matter, much sunshine either. Living in the middle of woods means shade rather than sun unless you're willing to cut down trees. We're not.

Before and after lunch we watched the DVD, On the Road Home: A Spiritual Journey Guided by Remarkable Women. I discovered this film during the January TCC retreat in St. Paul and was eager to share it with my students as it includes a segment with Sr. Antonia teaching t'ai chi chih and talking about her experience incorporating TCC into her spiritual practice.

Today's practice was special, as always. It feels wonderful to practice TCC in a group. Moving together OUTSIDE on a beautiful spring day is a big added PLUS.

Tomorrow Frances and I leave for the Twin Cities to spend a long weekend attending a wedding and visiting with friends. I'll continue to do my daily TCC practice but may not have an opportunity to post my blogs until I return to my home computer....

No comments: