Friday, June 25, 2010

A Gentle Approach to Health & Enlightenment

We're caught in the middle of another day long rain-filled weather pattern. It's back to the cool setting of the northwoods (mid-50s). My sister, when I tell her the temperatures here, always says, "You live in a godawful part of the country." She left her Midwestern roots far behind and is no longer willing to visit unless it's during the warmest months, July or August.

I managed a short outdoor practice this morning before rain started to seep from the sky. It was peaceful and calm in the quiet, grey moments before moisture fell.

Immediately after the practice a previous t'ai chi chih student (one of my first students when I moved to the area almost eight years ago) came for a t'ai chi chih tune-up/refresher lesson. It was grand to focus on the teeny weeny itsy bitsy elements of the form. I thoroughly enjoy refining the movements of TCC because I know that as movements are adjusted and deepened more relaxation is possible which then allows more Chi to flow.

Since I've lately been in the mode of watching every variation of TCC movement possible I popped in Steve Ridley's video, T'ai Chi Chih: A Gentle Approach to Health & Enlightenment. Steve was the teacher-trainer who certified me as a T'ai Chi Chih teacher in October 1996. Several years ago a local friend of mine (who studied TCC near Duluth, MN with another TCC teacher certified by Steve) passed this video on to me. I didn't know that the video existed--it was produced in 1987, nine years before I was certified--but I've since spent a number of wonderful practices with Steve and his wife, Lia.

After watching this video carefully I can say with confidence: Yes, T'ai Chi Chih moving meditation continues to change, grow, and refine itself. It lives and breathes and occasionally has growing pains. Still, it's a wonderful blessing for those of us who've invited it into our lives....

No comments: