Monday, June 21, 2010

First Day of Summer Torrent

The days seem anticlimatic after the departure of our fine feathered friends from their nest above the patio door. Yesterday I saw another phoebe flying back and forth to and from the nest and wondered whether it's another mother--or the same one--preparing to lay eggs and hatch the second brood of the season.

Frances wants to take the nest down and encourage the phoebe parents to rebuild their home above the kitchen window since it seems to be a safer, less high traffic location. I'm not sure, though, how much you can fool with Mother Nature....

Today's TCC practice occurred during the heaviest rainstorm of the year. After a warm, sunny morning the skies grew dark and forbidding. At the sound of the first raindrops I rushed outside to carry Chiripa in; she napped comfortably in a folding chair on the deck. Very soon the raindrops fell faster, harder, louder.

After an hour or so the sound of torrential rain drew me into my practice. Since it distracted me from other activities I thought that it might actually serve as an appropriate accompaniment to my TCC movements. It did feel comforting to move to the sound of the falling rain. (Don't ask me why.) Again, I noticed that rain seems to potentize the energy somewhat. Has anyone else noticed that effect?

It's a drippy summer solstice. Foggy windows and foggy air surround me and a cloud-filled sky has darkened and dampened the light on this longest day of the year....

No comments: