Tuesday, June 8, 2010

City Lights ... and Life

Frances and I spent four days visiting friends and family, attending a wedding, and socializing in the Twin Cities without a computer to record my blog. Now home ... this is my t'ai chi chih story, Friday through Monday, June 4-7, 2010, bottom to top:

Monday, June 7, 2010, 8:15 a.m.

Memories.... I walked through the yard and down to the marsh where our animal barn still stands after Frances and I moved away from this property that we shared with Artie and Nancy eight years ago. During my eight years of residence in this Minneapolis suburb Frances and I lived in the small cottage and Nancy and Artie lived in the large house on 4-1/2 acres of quiet nature in the middle of suburban traffic, noise, and busyness.

Now another couple rents the cottage and Frances and I are guests in the large house as we visit with our extended family of friends. After my quiet morning walk with Namaste down to the marsh I return to the house and perform my TCC practice on the deck outside.

I gaze over the huge yard, past grandkids' toys and wading pools, across the newly re-sided cottage and into the past. I lived here for eight years just as I've now lived in the woods near Bayfield for eight years. At this moment--now--I look forward into the past. Much of this--my past home--is familiar even as much of it has changed over the intervening years.

As I move through my practice I see the same yard, hear many of the same sounds, and realize how much my life has changed over the passing years. Now, after I finish moving and breathing through my practice, I rush to greet Artie and Nancy's youngest daughter, child of my heart, Andrea. She's there to fill in on child care for her parents as another daughter and a son-in-law arrive to drop off grandkids.

Soon Artie and Nancy are home and we sit outside meeting and greeting the flow of family, friends, and dogs that come and go throughout the afternoon. Another daughter and dog arrive. Another friend and baby and dog. Another friend. Another friend and dog. It's constant meeting, greeting, conversing, and departing.

When midafternoon arrives, Frances and I depart for the northwoods. It's time to return to the peace and quiet of our home in the woods. Time to leave behind the hustle and bustle of city life and revel in the silence and soulfulness of home.

Sunday, June 6, 2010, 10:30 p.m.

It's the end of another day of intense visitations with friends we seldom see. I am, in one word, exhausted. We breakfasted with one friend, ate a wonderful lunch prepared by two other friends, and arrived late for dinner with yet another friend. Now, finally, we've landed at our evening's destination: a place I called home from 1995 through most of 2002. Frances lived here for another 10 or so years previous to my arrival on the scene.

Due to this long and overbooked day, I crept into an abbreviated practice, rocked and rolled with the Chi through several of the TCC movements, fell into bed, and dived into sleep without even noticing the waves that spun out from my body in circles of deepening, widening, overwhelming peace....
Saturday, June 5, 2010, 7:00 a.m.

I started my day with a TCC practice while I stood in a darkened bedroom next to an open window. Bird conversation--especially a chirping cardinal--and a light sprinkling of rain serenaded me.

It felt absolutely wonderful to start this soon-to-be-busy day with deep relaxation, quiet, and peace. I trust that the Chi will continue to flow throughout the day as I join in the celebration of a friend's 89th birthday, grill out with friends who moved to a new home since I last saw them, and dress up to attend and celebrate a wedding on Frances's side of the family.

This filled-to-the-brim day will be graced by the wonderfully soft and slow beginning I made for it....

Friday, June 4, 2010, 9:55 p.m.

What a day! Rush, rush, rush. Hurry, hurry, hurry. Pack, pack, pack. Drive, drive, drive.

We left Bayfield at 11:30 a.m. in the midst of rain and 50 degree temps. We arrived in Minneapolis at 4:45 p.m. where we were greeted with sunny skies and temps in the mid-80s. After dinner with friends and a walk with the dog I retired to my TCC practice.

It was a welcome relief to slow w-a-a-a-a-y down. As my body and mind relaxed I felt my tiredness bloom. The energy felt full and abundant. With practice completed, I know that I will sleep a deep, restful, calming sleep....

No comments: