Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Be Like a Butterfly

This evening's outdoor TCC practice was spectacular. I moved through our sun-dappled, slightly breezy woods feeling deep gratitude for this beautiful tree-filled spot. It felt easy and effortless to go with the flow while surrounded by a sense of peace and just-rightness.

I'm still contemplating an article written by Carmen Brocklehurst and published in the May issue of The Vital Force. Carmen mentioned that it's always a joy when Justin Stone (TCC's creator) joins the Albuquerque, NM teachers for their Tuesday morning practice. Justin usually provides helpful suggestions, she said, and when he last came to practice, he noted: I see softness in the wrists, but I don't see looseness. Such a simple comment but also one filled with great insight.

As Carmen went on to explain her interpretation of Justin's message:
It's easy to be relaxed when everything is going the way we'd like it. But tht's not usually the case for most of us. Not only are situations not going our way, but many times, it seems as if the whole universe has decided to gang up on us, making sure we don't get our way. This is precisely when Justin's advice is most necessary and helpful, because the alternative is to drive ourselves crazy or into a deadly challenging position. So the practice of looseness that comes while doing our TCC practice could save our lives. It's a rewarding reason to practice loosely.
I notice how my wrists feel as I circle them in Bird Flaps Its Wings and Pulling Taffy Variation #2: Wrist Circles. And, how do they feel as they lead me around the circle in Bass Drum or up the mountain in Daughter on the Mountain Top or into the valley in Daughter in the Valley? As Justin instructs, the wrists lead us through all of the TCC movements and it's well worth noting how relaxed and loose they feel.

For the first time during my practice I noticed that Chiripa joined me while I moved. She located herself on the deck near my feet and quietly fell asleep, safe in the knowledge that I was nearby. Soon Frances called me to supper and I finished my practice and suggested to Frances that we return to the deck to enjoy our dinner of delectable delights.

Earlier in the day as we walked along our regular route butterflies flew, floated, glided, and slid gracefully by. White Admirals and Mourning Cloaks fluttered around us and an occasional Monarch and Canadian Tiger Swallowtail cruised along our path. At one point a circle of White Admirals sat together in the middle of the road as if socializing with each other, their conversation punctuated by wings rising and falling.

Rising and falling. My new goal: to move my wrists, my waist, my hands and arms, legs and feet with as much lightness, gentleness, and effortlessness as a butterfly drifting peacefully by....

No comments: